With corn bread and salad this creamy soup will make a delicious light meal.
1. 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2. 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
3. 1 onion, chopped finely
4. 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
5. 1 tsp. coriander seed powder
6. 1 tsp. cumin seed powder
7. 1 green chili, minced (to taste)
8. 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
9. 1 cup diced potatoes
10. ½ cup chopped green bell peeper
11. ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
12. 2 cups vegetable stock or water
13. 2 cups boiled corn (fresh or frozen)
14. 1 cup milk
15. ½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
16. salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. freshly chopped coriander or parsley
1. Heat oil and butter in large pan. Sauté onions and garlic on low heat for about 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
2. Add the coriander powder, cumin powder and green chili. Stir for a minute and add chopped tomatoes and cook on low heat for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add potatoes, bell peppers and vegetable stock or water. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add corn and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. In a blender puree about half the soup with milk and cheese.
5. Stir in the puree back to the soup pan and season with salt and pepper. Heat gently until the soup is hot enough to serve.
6. Ladle the soup in the soup bowls and sprinkle coriander or parsley and serve.