I got the inspiration for this recipe during a visit to Naples and have tried to incorporate those flavors here. It is deliciously different. I have used orechette pasta but you could also use penne or farfalle.
1. 6 tbsp. olive oil
2. ½ tsp. dried chili flakes
3. 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4. 1 cup (about 100g) 2-inch long thin strips of eggplant (aubergine)
5. 800g plum tomatoes, skinned and chopped roughly
6. ¼ cup tomato paste
7. ¼ tbsp. cream
8. salt to taste
9. 350g orechette pasta, cooked al dente and drained
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
Some freshly grated parmesan cheese.
1. Heat oil and put chili flakes, garlic and eggplant in it. Stir well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste and stir well.
3. Cook till you get a desired consistency for the sauce.
4. Add cream and salt and stir.
5. Stir in the cooked pasta in the sauce.
6. Serve hot topped with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese.